A compilation of random and interesting things, musings, musics, videos, and more. Brought to you by a UChicago student with a penchant for procrastination.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

It's the Beat

Finals are finally here ... (sigh) ... and with such dire times ahead of us I believe that new and ever more resilient forms of procrastination are required!

Thankfully our dorm has always been known to provide video-game based procrastination at a moment's notice, what with a Super Smash Brothers set-up permanently on one television and the alternating Katamari/Mr. Driller set-up on the other (yes we have two gaming TVs!). Yet, with finals week in full swing reinforcements were more than necessary.

With that call to action, I was both happy and extremely worried to see Guitar Hero come to prominence within our house lounge's gaming hierarchy. Of course, it is an amazing game - no one can argue that - if anything, for the sheer value of the guitar peripheral alone! But ... as with the DDR dance pads that were brought-in last year, I fear that my ability to get the most procrasintative value from the game may be lost.

No matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get into it, because ... at the heart of the matter -- I simply have no rhythm.

 

2016683856_d150b17696_o

Yeah. No. There's no way I can ever be this fly.

DDR leaves me looking foolish, jumping around, arms flailing (to no added benefit) and even the most straightforward rhythm-based games like Elite Beat Agents for the DS leave me completely lost, as it prod the screen the stylus, increasing desperation etched upon my face ...

At the heart of any one of these games, no matter how fancy they get, is the basic ability to combine elements (whether they be arrows or colors or street funky flair) and to do it rapidly enough to get the timed aspect right. Since I've never been musically inclined, or able to dance for that matter, I've never honed these abilities -- but with a month off for break, can anything help me create at least the basic semblance of rhythmic instinct?

So here's my request: I am in need of something, anything to help me find my "groove". Practicing Guitar Hero in the middle of the night, with the hope that no one will see me, is not proving to be very helpful. As soon as I attempt anything more difficult than normal I flounder! I need a game that can help me master the essence of these games, I need to be able to beat the most basic beat game around!

 

Anyone have any suggestions?

The following is your reward!

Similan Mobile Disco - It's the Beat (mp3) (via rapidshare)

 

Labels: , ,